It takes people, resources, creativity, and support of all types to make an event of this kind – and a program of this size – be a successful undertaking. We are especially appreciative of the following people (and apologize in advance for any oversights):
Temple University Administration and Staff
- Richard M. Englert, President
- Gregory N. Mandel, Provost
- Jennifer Wood, Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, Former Chair of the C.J. Dept.
- Richard Deeg, Dean, College of Liberal Arts
- Jeffrey Ward, Chair, Department of Criminal Justice
- Staff of the Criminal Justice Department
- And the Honorable Theodore A. (Ted) McKee, US Court of Appeals
The Inside-Out Team
Staff and Consultants:
- Eilene Frierson, Coordinator of Training, Outreach, and Center Operations
- Ann Schwartzman, Coordinator of Local Networking and Support
- John Pace, Program Associate, Long-Term Think Tank Member (Graterford / Phoenix)
- Sayge Martin, Coordinator of Social Media and Communications
- Alexandria Levin, Consultant, Graphic Design and Website Development
Interns and Student Event Volunteers:
- Rahima Begum, Kit Cali, Farjana Ferdus, Liam Kruchten, Anna Ruhlman
- Special mention of Anya Rainwater, who has skillfully helped to shepherd us through this process since its inception.
- Thanks to the dozens of student event volunteers who are helping us out over these three days.
Several formerly incarcerated Inside-Out alumni / coaches who have key roles in this event, who will be involved and introduced throughout our time together.
Deep appreciation to the dozens of Inside-Out instructors, former inside and outside students, and friends who met throughout the past year to put form on the germ of an idea. This would not have happened without you!
Others Who Helped to Make This Event a Reality:
- Gabby Yearwood (Univ. of Pittsburgh) for giving us the gift of jazz.
- Reiko Hillyer (Lewis & Clark College) for helping us to move, breathe, and center.
- Norm Conti (Duquesne University) for bringing the Wideman brothers to us.
- The Staff at Eastern State Penitentiary for providing a free tour experience to us.
- Alicia Ferguson, Jamie Hotz, and the Temple Special Events Staff
- Temple’s Cherry and White Catering Staff
- PWP Video, especially Michael Schweisheimer and Dave Winston
- Custom Ink, especially Regan Frese and Gee Evans
- Minuteman Press, especially Jude Arijaje
- Temple Security and Other Staff
- The Philadelphia Department of Prisons (for Monday evening event)
We are incredibly fortunate to have received significant financial support for this event from the following colleges / universities and individuals:
- Pitzer College
- Widener University
- Duquesne University
- University of Oregon
- Eastern University
- St. John’s University
- St. Joseph’s University
- Muhlenberg College
- Vancouver Island University
- The Program on Urban Inequality and Incarceration at Swarthmore College
- Anne and Jeff Dalke
- Patricia and Joseph Finio
- Bill Harrison
- TL Hill
- Homer Robinson
- Natalie Sokoloff
- PWP Video (significant in-kind donation)
We want to also offer appreciation to the many friends of the program who donate, sometimes on a monthly basis, and have given so generously over the years. We are grateful for all of the support that we receive. Besides helping Inside-Out grow as a program, it is also an ongoing inspiration to us. These gifts are multiplied in the many lives that they touch.
Photo credit: Ryan Brandenburg